What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is a procedure to remove unwanted hair on your body. It’s noninvasive, which means it doesn’t require any cuts in your skin. At Genesis Cosmetic Laser Center we provide this treatment on any part of the body, but the most common areas are:
- Bikini area, or any areas that grow pubic hair.
How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal uses a process called selective photothermolysis. Heat from a laser destroys cells that have a lot of pigment (color). Since dark hair has a lot of pigment, it absorbs the most heat. Hair transfers heat to the hair follicles and destroys them, so hair can’t grow.
A hair follicle must be in its anagen, or growth, stage for the procedure to work. Follicles are in different stages at different times, so most people need multiple laser treatments.
Who can have laser hair removal?
Anyone with extra body hair can have laser hair removal. It’s usually a cosmetic procedure. It may improve your appearance or self-image. Many people also prefer not having to shave regularly.
Sometimes laser hair removal treats excess hair growth caused by:
- Hirsutism, when women grow dark or coarse hair in areas where men usually have hair.
- Hypertrichosis, when men or women grow excess hair anywhere on their bodies.
These conditions might be the result of:
- Certain medications, including anabolic steroids and birth control pills.
- Hormone imbalances, especially increased testosterone, or androgen levels.
- Inherited disorders, conditions passed from parents to children through genes.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Tumors that produce hormones.
Laser hair removal is most effective for people with thick, dark hair and light skin. The contrast between skin color and hair color makes it easier for the hair to absorb heat. It might not work as well for people with dark skin or hair that’s blonde, gray, white or red.
Who shouldn’t have laser hair removal?
Please talk to us prior to having laser hair removal. You may need to avoid the procedure if you:
- Are pregnant.
- Are taking certain medications, such as acne treatments.
- Have genital herpes (HSV-2) or are prone to cold sores.
- Have keloid scars (raised scars).
- Have or have had skin cancer.
How should I prepare for laser hair removal?
In the weeks leading up to your procedure, avoid tanning beds and stay out of the sun as much as possible. Naturally or artificially tanned skin can make laser hair removal less effective and lead to side effects.
Shave the area that will be treated two to three days before a treatment. Laser hair removal treatments won’t work on areas where the hair is longer than a grain of rice. After treatment begins, avoid waxing, tweezing, and plucking hair in the treated areas.
What happens during laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal involves several steps. Once at Genesis Cosmetic Laser Center your Aesthetician:
- Cleans the area.
- Gives you protective glasses or goggles to wear during the procedure. Your healthcare also wears protective eyewear.
- Treats your skin with the laser. It might feel like a series of stings. Some people describe it as a rubber band snapping against their skin.
Your procedure might take a few minutes or up to an hour. It depends on the size of the area that is being treated. You might smell smoke and burning hair. This is normal and is the hair burning away from the laser’s heat.
What happens after laser hair removal?
Your skin might be red, swollen and a little painful after laser hair removal. You can use a cold compress on the treated area. Don’t expose the treated area to natural or artificial sunlight. You should be able to go back to normal activities right away.
Is laser hair removal safe?
Laser hair removal is usually safe and effective for most people. Only an experienced healthcare provider should perform the procedure.
What are the side effects of laser hair removal?
Possible side effects of laser hair removal include:
- Herpes outbreaks.
- Hyperpigmentation, areas of skin that are darker than the surrounding skin.
- Hypopigmentation, areas of skin that are lighter than the surrounding skin.
What are the benefits of laser hair removal?
The results of laser hair removal last longer than shaving, waxing, tweezing, or plucking.
Some people prefer laser hair removal to electrolysis. Electrolysis uses a thin wire to destroy hair follicles with electric current. Benefits of laser hair removal over electrolysis include:
- Fewer treatments.
- Less pain during treatment.
- Reduced risk of ingrown hairs.
Will I need multiple treatments?
You’ll likely need anywhere from six to eight laser hair removal treatments. Sessions are usually about six to eight weeks apart. This timing helps capture more hairs in different growth phases.
How long do the effects of laser hair removal last?
Most people see about a 10% to 25% reduction in hair growth after the first treatment. After all your treatments, you may not have new hair growth for several months or years.
Are you interested in learning more about Laser Hair Removal at Genesis Cosmetic Laser Center? Please call the scheduling team at Genesis Cosmetic Laser Center at (843) 669-2220.
“If you want to relax, watch the clouds pass by if you’re laying on the grass, or sit in front of the creek; just doing nothing and having those still moments is what really rejuvenates the body…”.